Wednesday 25 September 2013

Balance... is there really such a thing???


Although I LOVE summer, I have to admit, I am a little relieved to see this one go. As the mother to 3 small children, 3 cats, a dog and a 6 foot snake this summer for me has been a very busy one.

On top of all that I run a home based business and have Alex to take care of (he's kinda needy) We also have a camper at the lake which is supposed to be relaxing, but see, the lake for me means grocery shopping for two places, triple the laundry and the responsibility of packing enough food and clothing for 5 people and a dog. As well as making sure that the animals at home are taken care of over the course of our 3 day absence.

This summer was also a summer of sports for all 3 kids. Rory had soccer and dance, Boots had Tball and Hudson played rookie ball twice a week. I am all for the kids being active and involved BUT MAN was it exhausting on me trying to keep up with all that. We also have 3600 sq. ft. , 4 bedroom, 4 bathroom house that needs to be kept clean with little to no help from any other members of my family. Not to mention the basement construction, this leads to a lot of dust and dirt making its way up stairs. Also a lot of trips for me to the hardware store to get the things on Alex's lists.

 (first day of school 2013)
 
So seeing my kids go off to school this year brought me great joy. I LOVE THEM, I REALLY Do! But the fighting, messes and constant "Mom!?-ing” that has taken place over the last 2 months is enough to send a person over the edge.

That all being said, I do find myself frustrated with the transition from summer to fall.

Summer (as crazy and busy as it is)is spent with nightly BBQs on the back deck, eating at the outdoor patio table, later evenings outside with the kids, yard chores and maintenance and then wrapped up with weekends at the lake.  The Lake insists of lazy days on the beach, camp fires and card games.

So here I sit, the mornings and nights are COLD, the days are just bearable and I am still crazy!!

We can’t eat outdoors, I am struggling to do a meal plan that does not require me standing outside freezing in front of a BBQ, the camper and lake are closed up for the season and the evenings are getting shorter and darker much earlier.  By the time I pick up with kids from school, do daily errands (post office, bank, grocery store etc.) get both boys through homework, spelling words, and reading, do some basic housework, get supper prepared and made in time for Daddy to get home from work, eat supper, get 3 kids bathed and into bed, clean up supper dishes and feed the animals, make lunches for the next day, I AM EXHAUSTED! The sad part out of all of this is when Alex gets home from work and says “Hi Baby, what’d you do all day?” I can’t come up with an answer… I spend the entire day running in circles, barley finding time to drink a cup of coffee while it’s still hot, but yet, when this question arises my answer is always the basic “oh you know,  worked, took care of the kids, made supper”  


 
(frustrated 2nd grader, doing homework with Mom)





As a woman/Mom do we ever get the credit we deserve? Probably not… I am guessing I am not the only woman in the world that struggles to find the balance between work, house, partner and children. There is only one of me, but yet I am stretched in multiple directions all hours of the day.  


 
I love 8pm…the meals are eaten, dishes are cleaned, counters are wiped, kids are bathed and in bed, any chores not done at that point can wait until tomorrow.  At 8pm all the lights are turned off, I switch to the low light of the living room lamps and in the kitchen I ALWAYS have candles lit. I usually pour a glass of wine and plop my ass on the couch to snuggle in and watch whatever series Alex and I are hooked on at that moment or whichever reality show we are glutenly addicted to. At 8 pm my world slows and my house is quiet. I love 8pm.

 
 
 
 (Monday evening on the couch)

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 So now the fall season is here in full force.  The winter doldrums are setting in and soon we will be shoveling, scraping and plowing that awful white stuff away.
 
 
(Front porch decorated for Fall)


Finding balance in the new routines of a school year with the kids is trying on my patience, but I will persevere as I always do.

I hope all of you are having a fantastic fall thus far.
Thanks for listening…

~Holly

Remember:

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ain't that the truth Holly!!! With every changing season comes new challenges to adjust to. I love the "I am so unimpressed Mom" pic!
    Looking forward to your next post already!
    xo

    ReplyDelete