Wednesday 18 September 2013

The difference between Facebook and reality .....

I truly believe we are all guilty of this in one way or another...
We all have a Facebook profiles.
And we all make sure it looks perfect.

I know I only post the good pics. The ones taken at the right angle, where my fat doesn't show and my hair is done. We only brag about the good things in life. Post the pictures of the great family trips you have taken. Post the pics of the wonderful meal you made. Talk about the great things you and your partner do together. To the unaccepting eye you have the perfect life. BUT.... if anyone who actually knows you, knows that you look like crap in the morning just like the rest of us. You have days where your house is a mess, your kids act like monsters and you and your partner are at each others throat.

Now "most" self respecting people do not air their dirty laundry on FB (Thank God). This leaves the rest of us to creep your daily life and see all the good in it. For us to sit and envy you. Because your life looks so much calmer and well put together then ours.
My facebook profile is just as jammed packed with happy, wonderful things just like the rest of ya's. That's why two years ago when my ex husband took his own life and made a mockery of me on FB the rest of the world was in shock.

To say Brad and I were happy together would be a lie... We faked it very well in the public eye though. Our relationship could only be described as TOXIC at best. Filled with lies and deceit . Violence and shame. We hid all aspects of the relationship from the public. Hid the horrific things from even our families. So when shit finally hit the fan in those last few months and it all came to a screeching halt. People were shocked, saddened and for the most part angry with me.

No one knew the trails and tribulations he and I had been through in those 7 years. No one seen anything other then the wonderful vacations to the Bahamas and Disney World. No one looked past our 3 beautiful happy, healthy children and thought that anything was wrong.

Now I have mentioned Alex in previous posts. He truly is the perfect man for me. Our life is "for the most part" exactly what you see on Facebook. We have a beautiful home, he is helping me raise my 3 beautiful children and at the end of the day I actually LIKE him. We look forward to spending time together and doing "nothing" with him is most entertained and fulfilled I have ever felt in life.

BUT... we do fight, we have our issues. Raising someone else's kids is challenging. No matter how much you attempt to treat them like your own there will always be the evil step parent stigma. I, coming from a more well off back ground, tend to spend money faster then we can make it. He is very closed off and unemotional most of the time and I am erratic and too emotional most of the time. These things are defiantly obstacles we over come on a daily basis and most of the time we preserver and go to bed happy and in love.

I think its important to take a step back from Facebook every once and a while. Look deeper into someone's life and know that its not always what it seems. In reality we are all dysfunctional in one way or another.   And nobody really knows what goes on behind closed doors.

~Holly

Remember:

2 comments:

  1. You inspire me... I love your honesty, the thought you put into your words and your never ending words of wisdom you share with me. Keep telling your story. Your helping make us all better people.
    xpxpxp

    ReplyDelete