Tuesday 17 September 2013

Because I am a Mom....

It’s funny, as I sat at my kitchen table last week, paper and pen in hand, looking at the Sears Christmas Wish Book, I had a thought… It’s only the beginning of September, what am I doing looking at the Wish Book and thinking about Christmas already? Then I answered my own thought with a simple "because I’m a Mom"
Christmas as a mother takes extreme planning, budgeting, searching, hunting, and preparation to make sure that every possible detail, gift and gadget is purchased, wrapped and presented.

So I thought to myself, "what else do I do differently specifically because I'm a Mom?"

because I’m a Mom...I make at least 2 sometimes 3 different meals at supper time. I like to eat "somewhat" healthy, Alex eats VERY plain. And the kids eat like kids… so its time consuming and somewhat frustrating making multiple meals. Something I would never do if I did not have children. If I were a single woman or even just a couple, I am pretty sure we would eat out every night.

because I’m a Mom....I drive a minivan… No self-respecting woman in the 21st century wants to drive a minivan. But when you have 2 toddlers in car seats and a new born on the way, you find yourself test driving mini vans… That was me back in the summer of 2009, a 2 and 3 year oldand a baby on the way and we needed something that could hold all those car seats safely and comfortably. Now my kids are a little older mind you but I still drive that minivan. You wouldn’t believe the stuff I can fit in that thing.

because I’m a Mom...I buy comfortable shoes… It’s unbelievably depressing when I walk through the mall looking in the windows at all the sexy shoes and boots out there. But the only thing that floods my mind as a mother is "where the hell would I wear those?" They are gorgeous, crazy expansive but so impractical. As I walk off in my Birkenstock or Uggs (they go with everything) I hang my head in shame at my Mom shoes.
because I’m a Mom...I don’t even flinch at the sight of puke, poop or boogers… It’s a talent I have only acquired after becoming a mother. I have seen it all! Every color, texture, smell. In the weirdest places! Walls, beds, hair, floors, even in a pocket once. Being a mom has completely sent my weak stomach packing!
because I’m a Mom...I have also learned to eat my words, and stop judging other people and their kids. I can’t tell you how many times in the past I have said "Oh my child would never do that" or "My child would never get away with that" Trust me… at some point; your child is going to do "that", and say "that". Whether you like it or not, you are going to become "that Mom" The one you swore you never would.




So in the words of my dear friend Jaymie who hit the nail right on the head. "Life before parenthood must have been awfully boring."
I could not imagine my life without all the tears, meals, messes, tantrums, smiles, hugs, kisses, late nights, early mornings…

~Holly
This post was written to and inspired by +Jaymie Doole and her wonderful blog, that has forced me to explore my own inner thought process and attempt to write it all down... Thanks Jaym :)

No comments:

Post a Comment